Want to know how I start my day? I’m sharing my favorite 5 self-love morning rituals (before I even check my phone). My life has changed since incorporating these easy steps into my morning routine. My body and mind know what to expect and can graciously ease into the day with a healthier mindset.
Since starting these 5 practices I’ve begun to focus on more compassion for myself and others. We cannot pour from an empty vessel if we start our day off in a state of stress or disconnect. As I facilitate healing experiences for my clients (see post on the Healing Power of Boudoir), I realize the importance of continuously working on my own healing and self-care so that I can help others do the same.
I haven’t always practiced these 5 rituals. The first couple years of starting my photography business I often woke up before sunrise. I went straight to my desk after waking up, drank 5 to 6 cups of coffee a day, and spent up to 15 hours a day working. I had a serious coffee addiction, never saw my friends, was constantly on my computer, neglected my physical health, ate like crap (or sometimes hardly anything at all) and had zero balance. I was miserable because I was completely disconnected from my self.
Now, I am loving how by taking 30-45 minutes at the start of the day to relax, meditate, educate, hydrate, and connect with my body and mind- I’m moving through the rest of the day feeling more aligned with my purpose and spirit. I feel happier and healthier because I’m carving out time in my day for self-love and care.
So, here are the 5 things I do to start my day:
- Drink a pint of water with fresh squeezed lemon and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. This kick starts digestion, helps alkalize the body, gives a natural energy boost, acts as a tonic for skin, and re-hydrates after a long night of sleep. I’ve been doing this for years and it’s the very first thing I do when I get up.
- Immediately after drinking the lemon and ACV water and then making coffee, I read. A book. A real one! No screens. I spend about 30 minutes reading as I sip my coffee in bed. This allows me to wake up more fully before beginning my work and ignites focus and recognition in the brain. I’m a big fan of non-fiction- I want to learn something when I read. So taking the first 20 minutes of the day or so to soak up some new knowledge leaves me feeling inspired and really sets a healthier tone for the day. Current reading material is Awakening Kundalini: The Path to Radical Freedom.
- Next I meditate for several minutes with rose quartz. Rose quartz promotes love and compassion for ourselves and others, confidence, and clears out toxicity. I’ve started sleeping with a piece of rose quartz under my pillow for more healing while I sleep! In the morning, I hold the quartz in my hand while I check into my body or I place it on my heart as I think about all that I’m grateful for. Breathing deeply the whole time.
- Did I mention I haven’t yet touched my phone since waking up? I stay away from my phone during this morning routine. Recently I started leaving my phone across the room during the night. I don’t touch it until I’ve gone through these morning rituals. We are absolutely bombarded with screens in our daily lives. We have all day to check our phones so I leave it alone for as long as I can in the morning. Screen time is no longer how I want to start my day.
- Lastly, I practice yoga. Over the summer I began practicing Kundalini yoga which has and continues to change my life. I try to make it to yoga class in the a.m several times a week, but when my schedule doesn’t permit I take at least 20 minutes for some spinal twists, deep breath, and other Kundalini exercises. Sometimes I even end this ritual with a few minutes of ecstatic dance! This is my favorite of my 5 rituals as it helps clear blockages, gets all that good energy flowing, connects me further back into my body, and because I love yoga and dance- it makes me happy.
That’s my morning! 40 ish minutes of self-care that really helps me connect to body and spirit. I feel more balanced and grateful since starting this routine and I plan to stick with it. Of course, there are days when I can’t commit to the full ritual sequence, but I do my best.
If you’re a mom I know you might be thinking there’s no time for all of this in the morning- and I get it. I think shorter sequences or even rituals dispersed throughout the day when the kids are sleeping or in school, can still make a huge difference.
I’d love to hear what your morning rituals are? Comment below with what works for you. How do you start your day off right?
P.S. Are you on Pinterest? I’m pinning like a mad woman over there…check out some of my boards featuring boudoir photos, inspirational quotes, healthy recipes, and all things wellness. Click HERE to follow:)